Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Cinnamon Apples

A delectable dessert that should have been served with homemade whipped cream, but I didn't have any of the whipped cream ingredients on hand. Alone, the treat is sweet, tasty, and healthy - for the most part.

Information:
Prep Time: 0 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Makes: 2-4 servings

Ingredients:
3 tbsp butter
1/4 C sugar
2 tbsp* cinnamon
2 fresh apples**

*  I think I used a bit more, but you can do it to taste.
** I used Gala apples, any kind will do, especially if they are apples for baking or for sauces.

Directions: 
1. In a medium saucepan over low-medium heat heat the butter, sugar, and cinnamon until the butter is melted.
2. While the butter is melting, core and slice the apples. I did not skin them, as I recently read an article that the apple skin has the best or most nutrients the apple has to offer. 
3. Add the apples to the butter and coat the apples generously.
4. Cover the saucepan and let simmer for 8-9 minutes.
5. Serve warm and with homemade whipped cream.

As I stated earlier, I did not make the whipped cream, but I've attached the recipe in case you want to. There are other variations of the recipe below found here.

Original Whipped Cream:
Ingredients:
1 C heavy whipping cream or heavy cream
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp sugar

Directions:
READ THESE DIRECTIONS BEFORE MIXING
1. In a large mixing bowl whip the cream, vanilla extract, and sugar until smooth and creamy.
2. Cover and chill the mixture, bowl, and whisk for at least 30 minutes.
3. Once chilled, continue to beat until stiff peaks form.

No comments:

Post a Comment