Saturday, May 22, 2010

Chocolate-Covered Brownie Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes

My husband had some friends over for the soccer game between Bayern Munich and Inter Milan, and in anticipation of them eating the rest of my cupcakes (which they didn't, I'm really surprised!) I made more cupcakes. I decided on the Chocolate-Covered Brownie Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes from the book "Cupcakes!" by Elinor Klivans, which can be bought here.

Because cupcakes usually consist of the same basic ingredients and directions, I've shorthanded this recipe, but if you have any questions, feel free to comment and ask. Also, I've tweaked the recipe to how I did it (time wise). The cupcake batter recipe, can be found here, also.


Cupcakes
Information:
Prep time: 45 minutes
Total time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Makes: 12 ice cream cone cupcakes

Ingredients:
12 flat-bottomed ice cream cones
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
3 oz unsweetened chocolate (baking chocolate works)
3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2/3 cup (4 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips



Directions:

1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Place butter and unsweetened chocolate into double boiler and melt until creamy and completely melted. Set aside, but keep warm.
3. Combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4. In a large bowl, mix eggs and sugar on medium speed until the mix is thick and cream-colored, roughly 2 minutes. Stop the mixer and scrape the bowl if necessary. On low speed, first add the vanilla until completely combined, then the chocolate mix until completely combined. Continue mixing on low and mix in the flour mixture until completely smooth, then mix in the semi-sweet chocolate chips.
5. Fill each ice cream cone to just below the top of the cone. Make sure the batter is even at the top of the ice cream cone; try to fill in any holes. Place one flat bottomed ice cream cones into each cupcake spot in the cupcake tin.
6. Bake for about 28 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and come out clean. (If you hit a chocolate chip, try another spot).       ---      This is where my instructions differ... I put it in for 28 minutes, and the tops looked good, but the toothpick came out with batter. So I kept baking for 3 minute intervals for another 15 minutes and there was STILL batter on the toothpick, but my husband took them out of the oven anyways.... We'll have to see how the cupcakes come out, if they are dry or anything.
7. Let the cupcakes cool for 20 minutes in the cupcake tin.

Topping
Information:
Prep time: 1 minute
Total time: 5-10 minutes
Makes: more than enough topping

Ingredients:
1 1/3 cups (8 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 tbs canola or vegetable oil
My own added ingredients:
1 tbs canola oil
1 tbs and 1 tsp of non-fat milk

Directions:
1. Using a double boiler, melt all ingredients together.      ---    This is where my instructions differ. My double boiler is barely big enough to hold all the chocolate, but could not heat it to the right temperature with that much chocolate in it, (** See note below) so I used a regular pot on the stove with extremely low heat.

2. Once the cupcakes are cool enough, dip the top in the chocolate, letting the excess chocolate drip off. Put the cupcake back into the pan to let the chocolate firm up.
3. Let the topping firm for about 10 minutes before adding sprinkles or another topping.    ---    This is where my instructions differ. After 10 minutes, I knew the chocolate would be too firm to accept the sprinkles, so I added my sprinkles right after dipping it in chocolate.
4. Let the cupcakes with the topping cool for 2 hours. If you want/need to speed up that time, you can carefully stick the cupcakes in the fridge for 15-30 minutes to let the chocolate firm.

** My double boiler is pictured above. It looks like a toy (red) and I'm sure it was meant for a teenager to make some chocolate candies, but this double boiler is amazing!!! It works wonders for my chocolate dipped Oreo's and my chocolate covered pretzels. I will need to upgrade to a bigger double boiler for some future recipes, but for now, my little red chocolate melter works just fine for me!! :)


Making these cupcakes was rather fun! I hope they taste as good as they look! My husband's mom stopped by to pick two of these and two Hummingbird Swirl cupcakes. She's been wanting for SO long to have some of my home made goodies, and she is finally able to try two of them!

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, those do look and sound really good... and I love anything that pretends to be a cone of ice cream <3 Very cool!

    ReplyDelete